Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Punctuation Part 2

1. The comma:
      The comma is a type of punctuation that I use quite often and for me the rules are not to hard to grasp.  The chapter goes to great lengths to make sure that the reader understands how to use a comma correctly.  There wasn't any new information that peaked my interest and the book explained everything perfectly.

2. The apostrophe:
     The apostrophe is used mainly to show possession and that's what I usually use it for.  Also with contractions.  What I didn't know was that you don't use the apostrophe for plurals of numbers, abbreviations and words mentioned as words.  Other than that it is a pretty simple concept to understand.

3. Quotation Marks:
     Quotation marks are used for a variety of things and have a very specific set of rules that can be broken very easily.  One of the rules that I never quite understood was how to place punctuation in the sentences and the book helped me. 


In revising my draft again I didn't really notice to many errors in punctuation.  The three topics above were either not used, like the quotation marks, or used, like the comma.  An example of a sentence from my paper using the comma would be "They do have a ban on cloning like every other country, but India does heavily support stem cells.".  All in all I learned more about how well I use these types of punctuation and it helps me understand what works for me as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment