Thursday, July 23, 2015

Reflection on Project 1

    What challenges did you face during the Quick Reference Card project and how did you deal with them?

         The biggest challenge I faced in this project was combining all the data I had found and putting it into a nice formatted guide to the controversy.  Some of the articles I was reading barely made sense to me at the time which made it even harder to put into words that others who are not in the same field can understand.  The fact that I had to detail certain scientific reports into summaries for others to understand made this project a bit challenging.

What successes did you experience on the project and how did they happen?

       Some of the successes I had on this project were mostly due to the fact that I could find reliable news sources that highlighted the problem at hand which surprised me at first.  There was a lot of debate over this kind of issue that involved high profile politicians and scientists which showed me how serious this issue was.  Another major success for me was that I believe I was able to compile the information I gathered from my sources and make a basic yet informative QRG.

What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did you find the most effective for your project? Why?

      The most effective writing practice for me was to state the answer to the question in a basic form then I would back the question with facts or reports.  I would try and support both sides of the issues with their views and stances.  The reason I did this was because this kind of issue focuses on the facts and reports in order to be solved reasonably because this is the kind of community that solves its problems like this.

What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did you find were not effective for your project? Why?

   I didn't really have any practices that were ineffective in my opinion.  If it didn't seem like it would work I avoided it and stuck with what was working for me.

How was the writing process for this project similar to other school writing experiences you’ve had in the past?

    This was a lot like a research paper I had to do during my senior year of high school where we researched controversial issues.  The process of looking at sources and writing about them was the same so it was a shorter and more streamlined version of that paper.

How was the writing process for this project different from other school writing experiences you’ve had in the past?

    This process was very similar to writing processes I have had in the past and didn't divert to anything I'm not used to.

Would any of the skills you practiced for this project be useful in your other coursework? Why or why not?

     Yes, I think that this project helped me find a new way to cite certain journals and it has made me look at news articles and journals in a different way.  This has also allowed me to combine my information to match a QRG that could help me do better on other papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment